Wednesday, September 28, 2011

TNGS2: The Measure of a Man

Fuck man I am slipping. Was hoping to be on a season/month pace but I am being a piece of shit "playing music" and "dating a girl"- Rick Berman would be ashamed of me, worst Trek fan ever.

Episode starts with something I had forgotten about, the bridge crew poker game. Right off the bat I can tell something is a little different with this episode, new director or something. Different shots and camera angles and whatnot than usual. It is not anything major, but just this shot pointing up towards the characters with the Enterprise chillin in the background is a nice change of pace. I like/am ashamed that I am able to notice these things.


This is a pretty rad one, has all the elements that make a good Trek episode for me. For one, it is basically a Picard episode even though it revolves around the philosophical implications of Data. Anytime they let Patrick Stewart off the leash is going to be fucking amazing. Also, this episode deals with the banality of Starfleet which for some fucking stupid reason always fascinates me.

The crux of this episode is that some fucking weasel wants to take Data apart and build a shitload more. But apparently the operation is not without risks, so Data doesn't want to do it. Fucking weasely asshole guy decides to be a little bitch and get his admiral buddy to pull some strings and get Data declared as property.


Check out that ridiculous admiral's uniform. Fake ass Adrian Brody on the right there is the weasel. Apparently he is some shitty robotics guy and hates Data because he is not as cool as him. Picard, knowing that his monologues are unstoppable killing machines, challenges the Starfleet ruling in a military court, which is run by the same lady who tried to court martial him after the Stargazer incident.

"I want your Jean-Luc dong"
Picard has an ace up his sleeve in that this lady is begging for it. They get the trial underway, and with a little "this is just like slavery" pep talk from Whoopi, Picard fucking nails it and shows that weasel what is up. Also, Data has to admit that he banged Tasha in court which is p funny.



Like I said man, cool fucking episode. Manages to touch on some heavy shit without being overly preachy or ridiculous. I had forgotten about this one and I am surprised it was from season 2. Apparently the writer's strike was still going on so they dug up fucking lawyer scab script and changed some names around but I'll be damned if it didn't work. And yea, first time out for director Robert Scheerer, nailed it bro. Some cool shots:




Time for some fun Data facts too:
Storage Capacity: 800 quadrillion bits (100 PB) (The entire internet now is 5.8 PB)
Processor Speed: 60 trillion ops/ec (60 THz)

1 comment:

  1. What stargazer incident?! I didn't understand their history. Was it in a previous episode?

    I loved this episode. Pulled on my heart strings.

    ReplyDelete